The Google camera aka Gcam apk is the default camera app for pixel smartphones. It is renowned to capture some amazing shots, thanks to its algorithm and software tweaks.
Gcam is also famous because it can also be installed on any other Android smartphone ( other pixel devices).
Google keeps adding new features to the Gcam app regularly. Gcam 8.0 apk was released back in September 2020 with the launch of the Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G, this version bought a bunch of new features like new Night Sight portrait mode, Cinematic pan, Storage saver mode, changes to UI, and more.
Well, these features were not available to older pixel devices until the Gcam 8.1 update was released in November for all Pixel smartphones.
This Gcam 8.1 apk can also be installed on any other non-Pixel Android device with help of Camera PX Mod, developed by Urnyx05. It is based on Google Camera version 8.1.008.
How to install Google Camera 8.1 (GCam 8.1) on any Android device
To install the latest Google camera 8.1, you just need to download the Gcam 8.1 apk from the Download link given below:
Gcam 8.1 by Arnova
- Gcam 8.1 Mod APK by Arnova8G2 for users| Gdrive download | GCam_build-8.1.101.apk
- Gcam 8.1 Mod APK by Arnova8G2 for devs | Gdrive download | GCam_build-8.1.101.apk
Gcam 8.1 by BSG
- MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0h (BSG)
- MGC_8.1.101_A9_PV0g.apk (BSG)
- Latest Gcam 8.1 Mod APK | PXv8.1_GCam-v1.1.apk (cstark27/Urnyx05)
- Previous Gcam PXv8.1_GCam-v1.0.apk (Urnyx05,)
Read Also: The latest version of the Google camera app is Gcam 8.2, its previous version was Gcam 8.1 and the upcoming version might be Google Camera 8.3 or Google Camera 9.0.
Changelog of Google Camera 8.1 by Urnyx05 :
- Added all the fixes necessary for the first start
- Added Color Transform to fix saturation on devices with dull colors
- Added an option to disable tracking focus
- Added an option to disable motion photos
- Added OPModes to fix EIS
- Added buttons in the drop-down menu to enable/disable AWB
- Disabled Sabre on unsupported sensors
- Added an option to choose between Pixel 2, Pixel 3, IMX586, and IMX686 AWB
- Improved colors on Mi Note 10
- Added an option to disable Synthetic Fill Flash
- Added an option to disable auto night sight on portrait and photo
The developer of the modded Gcam 8.1 apk said that this apk will work on both pixel and non-pixel devices. However, it might not work on phones with Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processors and on some Samsung and OnePlus devices. Well, you can always give it a try.
An electrical engineer by education and a blogger by profession. Loves to be surrounded by new technology, software and gadgets.